Saturday, November 1, 2008

El Dia De Los Muertos


Mi Fiesta!




"Ofrenda" - art by Jane
and below that is ...
"Sugar Skull"





For the past few years I celebrated this deep, rich, beautiful holiday with family and in community. This year, the celebration is in the quiet earth of my soul. That said, I have 25 lbs of masa, a few pumpkins, some corn husks, and and various chiles, beans, and other ingredients to create those delicious treasures, tamales -- one of these days. And I have some artwork and photographs from past celebrations that I'd like to share. So please enjoy my blog "ofrenda"!


Photo of Bread Dough:
Ingredients for my 'pan de las inocencias' - bread dough includes a couple of crumpled organic red chilis, and generous helpings of fresh evening primrose and calendula petals from my garden, dried nettles gathered from our forest, and cinnamon. The inocencias mischievously nudged me about what to add!



Photo: Ofrenda in honor of las inocencias -- the young ones who have passed on--in utero, at birth, brief days, months, years into life ....


I'm participating in Dia de Bloglandia.
Click above to attend more gatherings!

17 comments:

susanna said...

Your illustrations are so pretty. I can imagine them in a children's book. And I'm curious to see what your finished bread looks like. I made a loaf of Bread for the Dead yesterday and I was amazed how sweet it tastes. Like a dessert. The shape of it doesn't...uh...quite match the photo for the recipe though! But what a wonderful festival this is... Thank you for sharing. :)

Jane said...

Thank you, Susanna! My bread is just my usual half-white-spelt, half-whole spelt bread with goodies tossed in -- not an 'authentic' pan de los muertos. Looks like I didn't take any pictures of the finished bread -- since I can't find any anywhere! By the way, I love your Halloween doll photos! Check out Susanna's Sketchbook, everyone!

Unknown said...

The ingredients for your bread are a work of art in themselves. The sugar skull paintings are delightful too!

Thank you so much for being part of Dia de Bloglandia!!

x..x
steph

GlorV1 said...

I love your post and the pictures are just great. I haven't tried making the bread, but I do have the recipe and will try soon enough. Thx for sharing.

julietk said...

Visiting for Dia de bloglandia
great sketches hugs Juliet

Gill said...

Your bread ingredients fascinate me! I wonder how this will taste? Likely very good!
xo

gma said...

Thank you for remembering the innocent ones.

Fireblossom said...

The artwork has an appealing sweetness...or maybe that's just me wanting a sugar skull. :-)

Tamales are wonderful. When I lived in San Antonio, the city received a Presidential visit, and he had to be told not to eat the husks.

Mrs Pretzel said...

mmmmm I can nearly smell your cookings from here!!

3rdEyeMuse said...

that bread dough looks like a party in and of itself! and your ofrenda for the wee is quite sweet.

Happy Dia de los Muertos!

Kate I said...

Your bread looks facinating and from the sounds of the ingredients, I'm sure it will be delicious. This is such a lovely idea to make this bread for las inocencias.

Thanks kindly for stopping by for the dia de bloglandia!.

me2 said...

Loved the illustrations! The bread must have been absolutely beautiful!

Leau said...

Beautiful in it's simplicity...

Yoli said...

What beautiful illustration. You are very talented. Love your entry.

Commuter's Journal said...

Your illustrations are lovely and the pan and ofrenda de inocencias touched me deeply. A lovely tribute!
-- JeriAnn

'A Tuscan view.....from Umbria' said...

Lovely images and very touching. best wishes amanda

Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

JaNE jaNe jANe!!!!!!!! I miss your yummy yummy bread -- and you :) Your painting has arrived here safe and sound, and I can't believe we are hanging the Peace show already. Time is just flying. Very cool to see you over at Dia de Bloglandia, too -- your drawing of the sugar skull is soooo playful and honoring. Love you lots!!!
miracles,
k-